Friday 3 August 2018

12 Hours in…Brixton

We're starting a new series on the blog called 12 hours in... to celebrate the launch of the brand new Lucy Loves This book. Lucy's book is called London Letters and it features 26 pull-out maps of popular London neighbourhoods from angel to ZSL London Zoo. The illustrated maps feature must visit cafes, parks, shops and streets for you to explore in each area. First up is Lucy's local area of Brixton. Over to Lucy...




The original design in the series, and without it this book would never exist. I designed the Brixton B for myself back in 2011, I was working as a freelance book cover designer, and for the first time since I was at university, I had a bit of time to design something that I wanted to design instead of something that met a design brief for a client. It was just for fun really, but it also happened to be the Christmas that craft fairs started popping up all over London and I thought why not give one a try. So armed with a few prints I did my very first craft fair, run by the girls who now run The Turpentine gift shop in Brixton (one of my favourite stockists).

I came home that night with £800 and a list of locations people wanted designing, I was bowled over. 130 locations later and the business is going from strength to strength with over 30 stockists in the UK including the likes of Selfridges and Fenwicks, a thriving online business and my first publication due out this summer.

photo from Canova Hall in Brixton

My top tips for a day in Brixton

1. Brunch at Canova Hall in the newly refurbished department store - which is worth a gander, especially if you can get up to the amazing rooftop bar.

2. A stroll around Brixton village to see what new eatery has opened and plan lunch.

3. A trip to the Ritzy cinema.

4. A long walk in the sunshine in Brockwell park, make sure you search out the walled garden - its such a hidden gem.

5. A cocktail or three at the Shrub and Shutter.

6. Dinner at Nanban, where for a very reasonable price you can be cooked for by Masterchef winner Tim Anderson

7. If you’re still going, head down to the White Horse where the party never stops.


---

We hope you enjoyed this little insight into Lucy's absolute favourite spots in Brixton. Please do take a look at the book here and let us know what you think! 

1 comment:

  1. Great article, there's so many great places to eat especially Canova Hall for the bottomless brunch and Nanban for it's Scotch Bonnet ramen, hope you can take a look and comment on my post here: nyamwithny.com/scotch-bonnet-ramen-in-brixton/

    ReplyDelete